Choosing the right synthetic underlayment(s) to offer to your customers and use in your metal roofing projects is a vital part of ensuring that your installations are long-lasting and high-quality.
We hear from industry professionals all the time about the number of roofing accessory options, including synthetic metal roofing underlayment. It’s often an overwhelming process because there are almost too many options that may or may not be applicable for a metal panel system.
Whether you’re a contractor, fabricator, or architect, we think it’s essential that you know some of the best synthetic underlayment manufacturers that make products for metal roof and wall applications.
Sheffield Metals is an industry leader in the distribution of coated and bare metal products, as well as the accessories needed to install a metal roof or wall system. While we don’t manufacture synthetic underlayment, we do sell and distribute it on behalf of our trusted partners at Sharkskin Roof Underlayment.
However, we know that there are other manufacturers to consider when buying underlayment, especially because every business is different. Plus, we’ve been asked: “What company manufactures the synthetic underlayment you distribute? What other manufacturers sell similar or better products?”
Being an informed and educated consumer is the best way to make the right buying choice. We’ve put together this collection of some of the best mechanically-attached and peel-and-stick synthetic underlayment manufacturers that can be used for a standing seam metal roof or wall.
#1: Sharkskin Roof Underlayment (Kirsch Building Products)
Headquarters: Simi Valley, California
Company Description: Kirsch Building Products, the manufacturer of Sharkskin products, provides long-term underlayment solutions for the roofing industry. The company’s products are designed for the pitched roofing market and are used for concrete/clay, slate, metal, and asphalt composition shingle roofs. All Sharkskin products are recyclable, contain no VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds), are made in the USA, and are distributed nationwide.
- SHARKSKIN COMP® (mechanically attached)
- SHARKSKIN ULTRA® (mechanically attached)
- SHARKSKIN ULTRA SA® (peel-and-stick)
- SHARKSKIN ULTRA RADIANT® (mechanically attached)
- SHARKSKIN VENTILATED ROOF MAT®
#2: InterWrap® (Owens Corning)
Headquarters: Toledo, Ohio (Owen Corning corporate offices)
Company Description: InterWrap® is a global manufacturer of coated woven products and diverse multi-layer laminated reinforced plastic substrates. InterWrap manufactures a variety of products, including synthetic roofing underlayments, protective packaging, industrial fabrics, geomembranes, metal packaging, and more. Interwrap operates out of manufacturing and distribution facilities in Canada, the U.S., China, and India.
- Titanium® UDL25 (mechanically attached)
- Titanium® UDL30 (mechanically attached)
- Titanium® UDL50 (mechanically attached)
- Titanium® PSU30 (peel-and-stick)
- The Original RhinoRoof® U20 (synthetic felt underlayment)
#3: FT Synthetics
Headquarters: Langley, British Columbia (Canada)
Company Description: FT Synthetics is a worldwide manufacturer of synthetic rooﬁng underlayments and associated construction products. With a focus on research and development, FT Synthetics produces quality and safe underlayment. FT Synthetics manufactures products out of two locations: A 12,000-square foot facility in Langley, B.C., and a 130,000 square foot facility in Shandong, China.
- FT SILVER (mechanically attached)
- FT GOLD (mechanically attached)
- FT PLATINUM (mechanically attached)
- FT PLATINUM HT-SA (peel-and-stick)
- HYDRA – Breathable Synthetic Roofing Underlayment
#4: GCP Applied Technologies Inc.
Headquarters: Cambridge, Massachusetts
Company Description: GCP Applied Technologies (GCP) is a leading provider of construction products technologies. Products manufactured include waterproofing, thermal & moisture protection products, additives for cement and concrete, the VERIFI® in-transit concrete management system, and other specialty products. In 2016, W.R. Grace separated into two independent public companies, GCP Applied Technologies and Grace. Currently, the company has over 50 manufacturing locations all over the world.
- TRI-FLEX® 15 Synthetic Underlayment (mechanically attached)
- GRACE ICE & WATER SHIELD® Roofing Underlayment (peel-and-stick)
- GRACE ULTRA™ (peel-and-stick)
- GRACE SELECT™ (peel-and-stick)
#5: Epilay Inc.
Headquarters: Carson, California
Company Description: Epilay Inc. is a manufacturer of woven and nonwoven technical textiles for the housing and construction industry. With over 30 years of experience in the polymer industry, Epilay provides the building industry with a range of waterproofing and weather barrier products for home construction. Epilay serves a variety of customers in numerous industries, including carpeting, health and hygiene, landscaping, automotive, housing, and rubber.
- ProtecTite® Platinum Roofing Underlayment (mechanically attached)
- ProtecTite® Ultra Roofing Underlayment (mechanically attached)
- ProtecTite® Superior Roofing Underlayment (mechanically attached)
- Plasfelt™ Roofing Underlayment (mechanically attached)
- PlyStiK™ PLUS (peel-and-stick)
#6: Continental Materials, Inc.
Headquarters: Abington, PA
Company Description: Founded as an imported nail and aluminum product supplier in 1958, Continental Materials, Inc. manufactures a complete line of roofing and building components for construction systems. Products offered by Continental Materials, Inc. include roofing asphalt, synthetic underlayment, roofing and construction fasteners, fiberboard insulation, organic roofing felt, modified bitumen roofing, and more.
- SecureGrip™ PRO (mechanically attached)
- SecureGrip™ MAX (mechanically attached)
- SecureGrip PS/MAX HT™ Self Adhered Roof Underlayment (peel-and-stick)
Final Thoughts on Metal Roof Underlayment Manufacturer Reviews
There isn’t one specific underlayment brand or manufacturer that best suits every roofing contractor or manufacturer’s needs.
That’s why doing your research, knowing your options, and ultimately choosing the best synthetic underlayment manufacturer that fits your business needs will save you time and money.
It’s also critical to remember that a lot more factors into purchasing metal roofing underlayment than just finding the lowest price. Roofs are too important to use products that are the cheapest cost.
You’ll want to check the on following attributes and ask the manufacturers about:
- Lead times
- Is the underlayment supplier able to process orders in a timeline that works for you and your business?
- Applicable testing
- Is the underlayment tested and what standards does it adhere to?
- Will its ratings work for the environment that you install in?
- Exposure rating
- What is the maximum exposure time for the manufacturer’s underlayment products?
- High temperature requirements
- What is the highest temperature the underlayment can handle?
- Do you need a high-temp underlayment?
- Is there a warranty available on the underlayment?
- What is the length and terms of the warranty?
- Substrate requirements
- What substrates can the underlayment be installed on?
- Is it limited to one deck type?
- How well does it adhere to various substrates?
- Low-slope applications
- What is the lowest slope that the synthetic underlayment can be installed on?
- What are the sizes of the rolls? Weight?
- Approved for architectural specs
- If you’re an architect or contractor who works on architectural projects, does the manufacturer have underlayments that will be approved?
- Account management
- Is the representative I’m working with reliable and responsive?
- Are they helping me choose the right synthetic underlayment for my projects?
- Training or technical assistance
- Is there a dedicated technical department that I can contact if I have a problem or if I have any product questions?
- Are there any training opportunities offered for customers?
- Availability and shipping costs
- Is there a location close to ours that enables us to get products quickly?
- Will it need to be shipped? How much will it cost to have products shipped to the job site or my business?
Sheffield Metals is proud to offer a one-stop shopping experience for any contractor, manufacturer, or architect’s needs — whether it’s metal coil/sheets, accessories, machinery, engineering, or a combination of products. That’s why we know how important it is for you to choose the right suppliers for your projects.
Best of all, we offer free consultations to get to know your business and set you up for successful metal roofing and wall projects. Contact us today to speak with one of our helpful specialists!